SPREADE (Sensible Policies to Reduce the Effects of Alcohol and Drugs for Employers) is a website designed to help employers to become Alcohol Smart Employers. An alcohol Smart Employer is one who manages alcohol to make their workplace a safe and healthy environment and reduce the costs (financial and human) that most businesses pay for their employees drinking.
SPREADE incorporates the most up to date research in its approach and the tools that it provides. There is an increasing recognition that drinking is a social activity driven by the prevalent culture that the best way to manage it is to have a clear policy that is consistently applied. Also having a program of prevention and education as well as regular confidential screening and advice to all workers has been shown to reduce consumption, accidents and absenteeism.
Studies have found that for every pound spent addressing alcohol issues in the workplace employers will save between £3 and £17.
SPREADE provides employers with
- A library of information that will educate employers about alcohol and how to manage it
- A survey tool that will provide them with intelligence on the workplace drinking culture.
- A guide to producing an alcohol policy tailored for local circumstances
- Materials to run a campaign and educate the workforce
- An online screening tool that provides the workforce with individualised confidential advice
- Resources for workers who suffer from alcohol problems, their own or someone else's
Visit SPREADE by clicking on the picture above.